Friday, September 16, 2011

Things I've learned from my two year old

This year has been a very trying time not just as a family, but with William. A couple weeks before Kylie was born, the dreaded terrible twos joined our family. Now compared to some kids I've heard about, William is not that bad. He doesn't throw screaming, kicking, tantrums and he listens fairly well, but man that boy is stubborn. If he doesn't want to do something, he completely ignores anything you have to say and would rather be punished than do whatever it is your asking him to do (or not do). He is also very independent and it's a constant battle over what he can do and what he's allowed to do. It's a power struggle between him and I daily. He is also the most loving little boy and he is constantly teaching me new things. Here are a few things I've learned from him.

1) A smile is the best way to greet someone. William has a way of making everyone he meets feel good about themselves. He greets everyone like they are his favorite person in the world. Even people he has just met get an enthusiastic "Hi" with a 1000 wat smile. I realized that I need to start doing that to everyone I come in contact with especially my husband. A lot of times when Kyle comes home I'm in the middle of some project or chore and instead of stopping for a moment to greet him, I give him a quick hello. I'm sure that makes him feel like whatever I'm doing is more important than him

2) Everyone is equal. A toddler doesn't care how much money you have, what you look like, what kind of clothes you wear, what kind of car you drive, your social status, etc. Their judgement of people is how a person treats them. I am a judgemental person to a fault and it's something I am constantly working on. I love watching William interact with people because he could care less about who they are as long as they are nice to him. I want to be more like that. I want to quit judging people by what they have or what they look like or what they wear and start paying attention to their character.

3)He asks for help. This is something I'm awful at. I try to do it all and I'll wear myself down before I ask for help even from Kyle. I am learning how to ask for help when I need it but it's hard.

4) He has a servant's heart. One of the things that has surprised me the most about William since Kylie was born was how helpful he is. If we ask him to get something, especially for Kylie, he rushes to get it. He is always helping me "clean" and when I ask him to help pick up he does. I am not very good at this especially in my walk with God. Sometimes I hear the call of God to do something or help someone and I ignore it because I have my own stuff to do. This is something I really need to work on.

These are a few things I've learned from William this last year. I never imagined my baby boy could teach me so much.

No comments: