Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kylie Rae (Long)



I've been totally slacking on my blogging lately. I started a new blog to write about my experiences being an older child to adopted kids and since I can't remember my password to get into that blog, I'm going to use this blog to write about all that fun stuff. Before I do that though, I figured I should write a little about Kylie Rae!


Kylie was born on March 25th at 10:21 pm. My labor was so different from William. It was easy and smooth and fast (compared to 20 hours with William, anything is fast). I had been having contractions for many weeks and was taken off bed rest at 36 weeks and everyone, including the doctor, thought I would go into labor that weekend. Kylie had different plans though. On the 24th I started having contractions that were closer than the normally were but they weren't painful so I went to bed not worried about anything. The next morning, my contractions were still about 4-5 mins apart but since they weren't painful, the doctor didn't want me going to the hospital just yet. Finally around 3:00, Kyle told me we were going to the hospital even though I wasn't in pain because he "refused to deliver his baby at home".



We arrived at the hospital about 3:30 and I was only 3 cms dilated. The nurse gave me an hour to dilate to 4 or I was going home. We walked around for an hour and that did the trick. My contractions still weren't painful at all so we hung out in the room watching March Madness. Around 9:00, my contractions got really painful fast so I got my epidural. I was only about 6 cms at that point so my mom decided to start heading home about 10:00. As soon as she left the room I started feeling a ton of pressure so the nurse checked me. I went from 6-10 cms in about a half hour so we called my mom back and I started pushing around 10:15 and she was born at 10:21 weighing in at 7lbs 12oz and 21 inches long.


Since her birth was different than William's we should have known that she was going to be a very different baby. The first six weeks were miserable. She cried ALL THE TIME and would only sleep while being held. She slept in our bed on my pillow and had to be forehead to forehead which at first was really sweet but then got really hard to get good sleep. I finally took her into the doctor at six weeks and she was diagnosed with reflux and put on medication. Since then she is a totally different baby. She is easy going, sleeps through the night, and is very happy. At that appointment she was also diagnosed with an umbilical hernia that will have to be surgically repaired. She has an appointment for that next week so we'll find out then when her surgery is.


William is an amazing big brother. He is totally in love with Kylie and she is in love with him. He loves to get her binkie when she cries and he keeps his eye on her when someone else is holding her. He loves to give her kisses and hugs and his new favorite thing is to lay down next to her when she is playing on her mat. It is so cute to watch. I can't wait to see their relationship grow as they get older.









No comments: